In 1942 Beveridge's report concluded that the State "should not stifle incentive, opportunity, responsibility".
Now, in the 70th anniversary year, we see welfare recipients saying"We're taking advantage of the system, but that's the system's fault – It's ridiculous, but I'm better off volunteering than earning – we're well off and I'm not going to give that up until I have to"
How relevant are Beveridge's concerns today?
Blog Archive
Popular Posts
-
The late Roland Barthes Holly Steell: The Death of the Author by Roland Barthes was published in 1967, and in this controversial essay he cr...
-
Watch out for those Prussians on the left! It has become a terrible cliché to discuss Anglo-German relations using World War Two metaphors....
-
The 1960s ‘Harry Palmer’ spy films starring Michael Caine were intended as the antithesis of James Bond. They were downbeat, gritty, and rea...
-
Laying the foundations for recovery In the second year of my economics degree we were mixed in with some first years for some lectures. In t...
-
"This guy cracks me up" Poor old Gerald Ford was derided for, apparently, being unable to walk and chew gum at the same time. But ...
-
‘I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occas...
-
Only the second most dangerous type of Bond there is String theory posits the possibility of multiple universes exiting at the same time and...
-
Put an X in any of the many empty spaces where you think a protestor was and send your coupon to... Late last year some students, many of wh...
-
It just happened Yesterday the Bank of England announced another round of quantitatuve easing worth £75 billion. Andrew Lilico responded b...
-
Hands off my wages And so the world keeps turning. An estimated two million public sector workers have gone on strike and the nation has kep...